Sunday, December 23, 2012

Have ye inquired of the Lord?

As I read 1 Nephi 15 today, the first eleven verses seemed new--as if I had never read them before.  They spoke to me and touched my heart because I could identify with them and apply them to myself and family today. Nephi has just come back to his father's tent after having his own experience with the Spirit testifying, confirming and explaining to him the things which his father had seen and heard and finds his brothers arguing about these very things because they don't understand them.  Nephi acknowledges that they are hard to understand....... unless you pray about them.  He became 'grieved' or mentally distressed listening to them because he knew through the spirit what their fate and the fate of his people would be in the future because of the hardness of their hearts and their disobedience to the Lord.  Nephi says,
 "...I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that minafflictions were great above all......"
Logically I know my afflictions are not 'great above all', but they can sure feel like it when you are in the midst of them, especially if it involves family or something close to your heart.  I have felt like that the last few months....grieved.  Sometimes we can see things clearly and are distraught when those around us do not recognized or understand the same things. The phrase 'have you inquired of the Lord?' really stood out in chapter 15.  Nephi had....but his brothers had not.  They had not even considered this option as a way to understand their father's teachings, but rather disputed among themselves trying to figure it out.  Nephi states: 'they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.'  How often are we guilty of that ourselves?  How often do we feel we have to do things ourselves and we do not need anyone's help, including the Lords? Now that is definitely prIde.....very "I" centered. Once again I have to admire Nephi and the faith and strength he possessed.  He already knew what the fate of his people would be, but he did not give up and say 'why be good?  All is lost anyway.'  Nephi remained faithful and was a very righteous man.....but we know he was also human and had struggles and worries too.  He continued to inquire of the Lord throughout his life and worked to persuade mankind to come unto Christ.
Nephi tells his brethren in 15:11 'Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you.'

I hope my family members who are struggling with afflictions they feel are "great above all" will not give up or harden their hearts against the Lord or the gospel. I hope they will keep living the gospel and be diligent to "inquire of the Lord" with faith concerning their struggles, even as the adversary plants feelings of hopelessness in their minds to throw them off course. I hope they will truly come to believe they can and will receive the guidance and counsel they need as they strive to be obedient.....a way is always provided for us through the atonement to come back and be and do better than we were before.

Have YOU inquired of the Lord lately with full purpose of heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment